Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada's fastest growing national business law firms, with offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham, Vaughan and Montréal. Our consistent ability to provide practical, creative and cost-effective advice, combined with an unyielding service commitment to our clients and a strong dedication to our lawyers, staff and the communities in which we practice, gives us a unique position in the Canadian legal industry.
We are seeking a full-time, permanent Legal Assistant - Overflow for our Waterloo office. This Legal Assistant will provide administrative support in the areas Corporate Commercial Law.
In this role, you will be tasked to:
- Handling and prioritizing workload independently for a variety of lawyers;
- Providing excellent client service to both internal and external parties;
- Strong understanding of corporate law, and corporate transactions, including drafting necessary documents;
- Flexibility to work with changing priorities;
- Meeting strict deadlines;
- Excellent multi-tasking skills;
- Communicating in a professional manner with lawyers and other team members;
- Other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this role, you possess:
- A minimum of 2 - 5 years of administrative experience in a corporate legal environment, preferably in a large law firm;
- Experience in working with pleadings, motion records, and understanding court requirements, as necessary, which includes filings;
- A solid understanding of currently legal terminology;
- Strong dicta transcription skills and ability to transcribe for various practice groups
- Practical experience in using Microsoft Word, Excel, Lotus Notes, Outlook and a legal accounting system;
- Fast, accurate keyboarding skills; minimum 60 wpm;
- Strong dicta transcription skills and ability to transcribe for various practice groups;
- Strong organizational, practice management and time management skills;
- Ability to exercise good judgment in recognizing scope of authority and protecting confidential information is a must;
- Excellent proofreading skills (ability to check typed material for grammatical, typographical, spelling, word usage and format errors);
- The ability to work independently, follow instructions with minimal supervision and take initiative;
- The willingness to learn and contribute to the team.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we are unable to respond to queries individually and only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
Miller Thomson will provide accommodations on request throughout the recruitment, selection and assessment process for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodations, please inform our Talent Management department of the nature of accommodations that you may require, to ensure your equal participation.