Why the Y?
• A place where you are a part of one of the most respected human services organizations in the world;
• A place where your work positively influences the lives of others in so many ways;
• A place where you are able to flourish in a values-based environment;
• A place where you will build a better future not only for yourself but also for those you serve.
At the YMCA
• you will feel connected to community,
• you will meet new people,
• you will expand your knowledge base,
• you will have career development opportunities
• you will experience a rewarding job by helping support the building of healthy communities
Imagine accomplishing all of this while having fun in a challenging and dynamic atmosphere!
This is “Why the YMCA”.
With health and fitness branches, camps, child care centres, community programs and newcomer services across the region, reaching from Windsor in the West, North to Goderich, South to Point Pelee National Park and East to Woodstock, the YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to the development of healthy communities. Our locations, programs and services are designed to help our members and participants grow in spirit, mind and body and are open to people of all backgrounds, beliefs and abilities.
This commitment includes a special focus on the region’s children and youth. From the kids in our camps and those participating in soccer and swimming lessons, to youth who are new to our communities from around the world, the Y is committed to helping our next generation to grow and thrive, as healthy individuals and passionate future leaders.
In the past year, the YMCA of Southwestern Ontario has supported more than 165,000 participants with opportunities to learn, grow and live healthy lifestyles.
“The Y has given me more than I could imagine. It has helped my children have a happy, healthy Mom – and you can’t put a price on that.”~ Mary
“Y” not join these participants, our nearly 91,000 members and over 2500 employees and volunteers in the region to share our vision of a healthy community?
As we continue to grow, we have a need for the following position:
Date: February 5, 2020
Position: Centre Manager, Lambton Shores Wellness Centre
Location: Lambton Shores Wellness Centre YMCA (Forest, Ontario)
Start Date: March 2020
Compensation: Full Time, Salaried
• Candidates will be eligible to participate in our full benefit plan upon successful completion of their 90 day probationary period
• A complimentary YMCA membership which encourages you to embrace the Y’s philosophy of health and well-being
• A discount on our Childcare and Camp programs
• Provides overall branch leadership; responsible for the development/implementation of operational plans and the Association’s Human
Resource Policies and Procedures
• Responsible for membership engagement
• Accountable for achieving operational goals through financial management of the branch including both operational and capital budgets;
• Accountable for the development and implementation of tactical plans for the branch including: budgets, staff and volunteers, quality assurance, asset management, positioning, Member Engagement and Philanthropy
• Responsible for the development, scheduling and delivery of Health and Wellness, Group Fitness programs and member engagement activities
• Recruitment, training, and mentoring of all staff and volunteer team members for the purpose of delivering excellence in customer service through all programs and services
• Provide direct delivery and leadership in programs modeling/mentoring service excellence
• Build and foster strong community relationships and partnerships which enhance programs and service delivery for the community
• Ensure compliance with legislative requirements and applicable industry standards for Occupational Health & Safety, Human Rights Act, Accessibility Ontario Disability Act and Employment Standards Act
• Varying shifts including mornings, evenings and weekends.
Qualifications & Experience:
• 3 year post secondary degree in physical and health education or a related field
• 3-5 years experience in a mid-management position or equivalent, is a results-oriented role overseeing membership, program and volunteer development
• YMCA experience is preferred but related work considered
• Skills in Human Resources management, health, fitness and recreation membership and program delivery as well as financial management
• Computer knowledge in MS Office using Word and Excel
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
• Excellent interpersonal skills and customer service experience
• Group fitness leadership certification (YMCA, MOSSA, CanFitPro or equivalent) an asset
• Personal training certification is an asset
• Current First Aid/CPR
• Valid Ontario driver’s license
• Ability to travel for meetings
• Must provide a current criminal record check as per the Association’s policy
Commitment to Organizational Vision and Values
• Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the Mission, Vision, and strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA
Concern for Health and Safety
• Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction
• Identifies an issue and works towards a solution
• Does the right thing at the right time without being asked
• Deliberately identifies and creates opportunities to enhance each and every individual’s YMCA experience
• Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
• Actively builds teams and encourages open relationships for maximum organizational effectiveness
• The ability to lead, manage and achieve identified goals
• Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
1. Submit resume to Lindsay Whitaker, Regional Manager, Health, Fitness & Aquatics.
2. Deadline for application is February 21st, 2020.
3. Please answer the following questions within the body of your email. Please do not include the responses in a separate document. Only those applicants that complete these instructions will be considered for an interview. A cover letter in addition to this information is not required:
a. Please describe your previous and current experience supervising a staff team and how you would be a valuable asset to our YMCA Management Team.
b. Please provide your salary expectations.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations.