We are the place for dreamers, innovators, and world-changing ideas. We create an entrepreneurial culture, foster a vibrant community, launch new startups, and accelerate growth for established tech companies, while attracting the next generation of tech talent and innovative entrepreneurs in Southwestern Ontario
About the Role
The Communications Specialist is responsible for expanding the reach of Southwestern Ontario’s innovators, to capture the region’s innovation economy stories, and disseminate to a diverse community of stakeholders and media contacts. This role is an exciting opportunity for an individual who enjoys a diverse portfolio of responsibilities including journalism and content creation, brand, social media, project management, and government and media relations.
The ideal candidate is a natural storyteller with a passion for working in words and images. Always delivering messages in creative and unique ways through strategic channels, the Communications Specialist can easily plan and execute marketing campaigns to establish connections with stakeholder mandates, create dialogue in the community, or shine the spotlight on ventures within our region.
- Proactively use your local knowledge and connections, and your passion for storytelling to write meaningful and relevant content that prompts followers to authentically engage and share.
- Conceptualize, design, and develop publishing and graphics material in various digital media formats.
- Produce wraparound content to complement visual design elements including social media, website and email marketing copy that directly supports the editorial calendar and strategic priorities of the organization.
- Write key internal and external communication pieces such as presentation materials, remarks, annual report, strategic plan, funder’s reports, etc. with consistent brand and persona.
- Keen interest in political influencers, with deep connections to all three levels of government to inform innovation policy development and promote Southwestern Ontario’s innovation economy.
- Develop press releases, key messages, quotes, and other editorial materials while managing media and proactively secure press opportunities.
- Align TechAlliance's thought leadership and brand vision with current trends in technology and innovation through engaging brand messaging and visuals.
- Plan for crisis communications and execute, if necessary.
- Analyze social channels and website analytics to optimize readership, measure performance and report on impact.
- Undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, marketing, or public relations preferred.
- Qualification in Project Management – PMP® Certification is an asset.
- Minimum 5-7 years' experience in a similar role or in an agency setting.
- Experience working with government or elected officials considered an asset.
- Must have excellent writing skills, in-depth knowledge of principles of writing, including grammar and style, argument, and coherence and attention to detail, editing strengths with an excellent command of the English language.
- Superior oral skills coupled with active listening and demonstrating professionalism in both presentation and demeanor.
- Knowledge of theory and best practice in media relations and public affairs, and of marketing fundamentals, campaigns, and trends.
- Acute understanding of social media platforms from content, audience, and technical perspective.
- Dedicated team player who is able to contribute to a vibrant team culture and core values, while prioritizing multiple and changing demands.
- Exceptional attention to detail with excellent planning and time management while working independently and with ambiguity.
- Highly self-motivated, innovative thinker with a creative flair and passion, and able to work in high-demand atmospheres.
- Demonstrated success in building credibility, managing relationships, and proactively collaborating with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Proficient in Google Analytics and Ads, MailChimp, Adobe Creative Cloud, Canva, Webflow, SalesForce, Slack, MS Office 365, and Eventbrite.
- Active participant on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram.
Please send your cover letter, resume, writing sample and salary expectations to Jennifer Starcok (firstname.lastname@example.org), People & Operations Leader by noon on February 26, 2021.
Candidates selected to advance in the recruitment process will be interviewed on March 1 and 2, 2021.
All applications will be kept confidential. TechAlliance is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including BIPOC, francophones, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.