Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Admissions Office, Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, oversees all aspects of admissions, from recruitment events, screening and checking of initial applications, the interview process, selections, offers and appeals as well as the culminating dual White Coat ceremony for both Dental and Medical students entering first year. The mission of the office is to recruit, screen and admit highly-qualified students to the Doctor of Medicine (MD) and Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) programs, so as to further strengthen the quality and diversity of the student body in all applicant categories and to create and maintain a smooth and efficient application-processing practice.
The Manager, Admissions will be responsible for managing all aspects of the admissions process within the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry’s Admission Program, and will lead and direct the work of others, ensure appropriate resources and controls are in place to manage risks, and assist in establishing the vision for a wide variety of administrative, human resources, communications and financial processes to ensure smooth and efficient administration. The Manager will participate in the development and implementation of strategic administrative plans, programs and policies to ensure successful alignment and progress and will actively participate in the development of policies and regulations related to admissions, as well as review processes and identify opportunities to improve current admissions services delivered to applicants. The Manager will also provide coaching and training to their team, as well as comprehensive advice and support to various stakeholders, while working collaboratively to support the School and University's mission to attract the brightest students to Western, and to ensure that admission standards are met and maintained through exemplary customer service, fair and equitable adjudication of applicants, and the consistent implementation and interpretation of Senate policies governing admission.
- Undergraduate Degree with a focus on Health Administration, Business Administration or related field
- Master’s Degree in a related field is preferred
- 5 years’ program management experience in a complex unionized office environment
- 3 years’ previous supervisory experience overseeing staff and projects
- Experience working with and chairing committees and participating in academic governance
- Experience in strategic and budget planning, implementation and operationalization
- Experience in a role related to admissions in a post-secondary institution is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of best practices for assessing, developing and implementing new business processes and procedures
- In-depth knowledge of financial budgeting and principles, Human Resources principles and practices, Employment Standards Act and other relevant legislation
- Familiarity with best practices in building a strong collaborative team and leading people
- Knowledge of Medicine and Dentistry post-secondary programs throughout Canada
- Ability to effectively drive and manage change initiatives that align with organizational strategies and/or provide opportunities to increase efficiency
- Ability to collaborate across internal and external boundaries to meet common objectives, improve outcomes and support work beyond one's own unit
- Ability to establish effective routines for excellent communication with all members of the team to maximize productivity
- Verbal communication skills to clearly express ideas in an objective manner, and adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience
- Innovative and flexible critical thinking skills to adjust to and implement new processes or technology to the University’s advantage
- Cross-cultural competency with an ability to interact and work effectively with people from different cultures and backgrounds
- Self-driven, critical thinker who is highly skilled at anticipating and resolving problems and stakeholder relation issues with diplomacy, calmness and good judgment
- Ability to make decisions and recommendations that are clearly linked to the organization's strategy and goals
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Project management skills to ensure team roles are clear, milestones are communicated and deadlines are met
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca
for further information and to apply online, reference job # 21654 by midnight on March 29, 2021
Western values diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.