Library Space is Community Place! LPL strengthens people and neighbourhoods by creating connections that enrich lives, inspire discovery, foster creativity, and expand possibilities.
With over 1 million titles in our collection and 350 public terminals, the London Public Library provides a variety of important services and programs to over 2.9 million people annually.
Come join the Library team as our new Temporary Full Time up to 1 year:
Building Maintenance Mechanic
This position enables staff to carry out the mission of the London Public Library in providing public library services through the provision of facility services that result in well functioning, energy efficient and safe buildings, property and equipment. Reporting to the Supervisor, Facility Services, the Building Maintenance Mechanic performs work related to facility preventive maintenance, repair and energy management operations for all library buildings and property and related equipment, including mechanical, electrical, structural, plumbing and sewage systems, system-wide delivery and handling systems.
- Maintenance & Repair
- Performs work related to facility preventive maintenance and repair operations for all Library buildings and property and related equipment.
- Performs energy management measures, procedures and tasks required for the energy management program.
- Performs building inspections on a monthly basis to ensure that all sites are maintained in good and safe condition.
- Performs work in compliance with all applicable legislation, codes and Library policy and procedures.
- Assesses emergencies; resolves problems; documents outcomes; consults with Supervisor, Facility Services as required; refers complex problems to Supervisor, Facility Services.
- Works collaboratively with contractors required to assist with building maintenance and repair.
- Maintains good relations and effective communication with staff and the public.
- Keeps current in the field through continuing education, attending conferences and workshops and reading professional literature
- Facilities Department Support
- Supports work of the shipping/receiving function by packing materials for outgoing shipment of materials; preparing bills of lading; unpacking incoming materials and arranging for distribution; notifying appropriate department of discrepancies or damages; maintaining internal and external communications required to effectively accomplish the function.
- Performs work of Maintenance Custodian, such as room setup, as required.
- Performs work of Delivery Driver, as required.
- Works at multiple locations on a system-wide basis. Drives library vehicles, as required.
- Works scheduled standby hours, including days, nights, holidays and weekends to resolve technical problems.
- Responds to emergency calls as required, during and outside of regular hours.
- Performs related duties and undertakes special projects as assigned
- One year community college equivalency. Successful completion of relevant trades training courses / apprenticeship relating to building maintenance, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, basic construction and HVAC.
- Proven experience in a variety of aspects of facility maintenance, mechanical, electrical, structural, plumbing and sewage systems.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to build beneficial relationships with key stakeholders.
- The ability to balance priorities and meet deadlines.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to listen and find solutions to customer needs.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in an automated systems environment.
- Current and valid Ontario G Driver’s License.
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours, including standby and emergency call-ins.
Candidates are requested to submit a detailed resume outlining experience and qualifications by May 22, 2021 to: email@example.com
Please visit our website at: http://www.londonpubliclibrary.ca/
No phone calls please.
The London Public Library will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes upon request consistent with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the AODA regulations.
Applicants for employment, who have been provided with a conditional offer of employment will be asked to provide, at his or her own expense, a satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check and/or Police Information