Huron University invites applications for the position of:
MANAGER, MAINTENANCE & PROJECTS
Huron is completely unique to post-secondary institutions in Canada. With the aim to redefine Liberal Arts
education, Huron is creating a university experience unlike any other that prioritizes ethical leadership and
community engagement, as much as the pursuit of academic achievement.
As the founding institution of Western University, since 1863, Huron has remained strategically small to best
serve the needs of its students. We provide an elite, yet accessible, education, because every student with
the passion and work ethic to positively change our world deserves to access the knowledge to understand it
and the skills to shape it. Huron’s mission is to develop Leaders with Heart from all backgrounds and foster a
vibrant and inclusive community and prepare students to be engaged citizens who transform the sectors they
work within. Our commitment to providing the best-possible Liberal Arts education means students have many
unique opportunities to enrich their learning experiences.SUMMARY:
Reporting to the Associate Vice President, Facilities Management, the Manager, Maintenance & Projects will
provide day to day management of the maintenance program including contractor management for
maintenance, landscaping/snow maintenance and project works for Huron. Focusing on the continuous
improvement of the Huron Maintenance program, the incumbent will have an eye on safety and quality of
service to deliver system and customer service to proactively meet expectations of students, faculty and staff.
As Manager, Maintenance & Projects, you will be responsible for the scheduling, supervision of maintenance
and repair activities, contracted services, and ensuring the physical activities of the University operate
seamlessly and meet budgetary and strategic objectives set out by the Huron Facilities Management Strategy.
Currently, the Manager, Maintenance & Projects role is supported by two (2) in house maintenance workers
(contracted) with majority of the work completed by multiple 3rd party contractor partners. At Huron, our
mission of leadership with heart is at the core of everything we do and will align with the personal philosophy
of this leadership role.PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leadership of the Maintenance & Project team utilizing a positive, collaborative and proactive
- Implement, document and sustain a maintenance program and routine for effective operation of the maintenance function of the Facilities Management department (e.g. prioritization process/meetings, reports, work request to work order execution, etc.)
- Develops short and long-range maintenance plans/programs for the purpose of ensuring that maintenance and contractor resources are effectively utilized (e.g. electrical, mechanical, civil work requests vs. resources available)
- Create and maintain documentation of maintenance processes (e.g. Standard Work Instructions (SWI) for Preventative Maintenance (PM) program, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for door access system, etc.); ensure documentation is utilized as part of the maintenance execution to ensure standardization, efficiency, and a focus on Customer Service to user groups across campus
- Implement 5S methodology to Maintenance areas on campus to improve order, efficiency and improve customer service with lower downtime / interruption
- Coordinate projects (e.g. site repairs/construction, preventive maintenance, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring completion within established time frames, project design and budget.
- Coordinate cross functionally with other Managers and key stakeholders within the Huron Community to collectively execute on shared projects and initiatives (e.g. Housing, Housekeeping, Security, IT, Events, etc.)
- Coordinate daily / weekly with other Managers and key stakeholders within the Huron Community to ensure all events, initiatives, projects are well supported across campus (e.g. campus clean up prior to Open Houses or special events, prep for O-Week events, etc.)
- Manage schedules, and oversee external contractors (electricians, plumbers, excavators, roofers, painters, etc.) to execute the maintenance and capital plan projects assigned
- Schedules and supervises maintenance workers engaged in building and grounds upkeep and repair; responsible for safety and security, electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, and ventilation services.
- Support the development of maintenance and capital budgets providing input to the AVP, Facilities Management on tracking actuals and projecting futures
- Implements, and supervises preventative maintenance and renovation programs for buildings, grounds, mechanical and electrical, and security systems.
- Responsible for building access controls system across campus, maintaining records, and ensuring proper procedures and protocols are in place and adhered to.
- Involved in development and/or manages plans (scope, schedules, etc.) for campus projects; estimates costs of equipment, materials, labour, and supplies; manages site and building projects performed by outside contractors.
- Provide input on contractor performance (both Company and individuals) for purposes of maintaining adequate staffing, disciplinary action, etc. to achieve departmental objectives
- Manage maintenance function using risk mitigation strategies aligned with business objectives
- Performs other related duties, as required, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
- Ensures contractors on campus work in compliance with Huron’s policies.
- Post-secondary education, or trade certification, related to engineering, building trades, property management or related field, and;
- Four (4) or more years of progressively more responsible experience in physical plant maintenance, with examples of supervisory or managerial experience, or; combination of education and experience commensurate with the requirements of this position.
- Achievement or working towards an applicable designation or certificate (e.g. P. Eng, PMP, etc.)
- Broad knowledge of facilities management including but not limited to; heating, air conditioning, electrical and plumbing systems, including equipment maintenance and repairs, health and safety,general construction and project management.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with University faculty, staff, administrators and governing boards.
- Experience with management of a Maintenance Program and ability to continuously improve the processes and routines within the program
- Ability to think operationally and strategically to plan both short and long term maintenance and capital plans
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas and information in written and oral format to administrative staff, professional colleagues, etc.
- Excellent time management skills and a demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks and meet competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to organize and direct work teams using systems and tools (e.g. Excel for budget tracking & schedules, electronic work order system, etc.)
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Well-honed and developed interpersonal skills to represent Huron professionally.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve effectively and use good judgement in all decisions.
- An open, inviting and approachable personality that allows the opportunity to build meaningful, trusting relationships.
- A strong willingness to participate fully in a team environment.
- Ability to work with diverse communities with respect, sensitivity, creativity, innovation, and cultural understanding.
- Maintain a non-judgemental approach when dealing with difficult or conflicting situations.
This is a full-time ongoing position.
Effective September 7th, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Huron’s
Covid-19 Vaccination Policy.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their application by Friday, June 24, 2022 @ 11:59pm
cover letter and a current resume may be submitted in one document (Word or PDF) in confidence to Huron
via email to email@example.com.
Huron University values its place in an interconnected world and desires to reflect this value, acknowledging
our responsibility to strive towards a diverse and equitable employment and educational environment that
recognizes the inherent worth and dignity of every person. We encourage applications from all qualified
individuals, especially those from racialized persons / persons of colour, women, indigenous / Aboriginal
People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the
diversification of ideas.
We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected to proceed in the competition will be contacted.
Should you require accommodation in making an application please contact Huron by phone at 519.438.7224
or at the email address above.