Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 15
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Department of Western Technology Services (WTS) is a central source committed to providing high quality, cost-effective technology solutions and services to the campus community in support of the teaching and research missions of the University. WTS works collaboratively with other IT groups within Western’s faculties and support units to leverage central supported technology solutions and services where appropriate.
The Infrastructure Services division of WTS is responsible for providing Western faculty, staff, and students with the best possible hardware and software support infrastructure to enable the use of technology in teaching, learning and administration.
The System Administrator – Web Operations is a key member of a skilled team responsible for developing and supporting the tools and infrastructure used by WTS Application Development, eLearning Technology and Western University corporate web. The role will build and manage infrastructure, implement automation, develop and integrate tools and provide operational support to our development, test and production platforms.
The team is responsible for the research, planning, designing, modifying, integrating and evaluating servers, databases, storage, and associated enterprise applications which form part of Western’s central technology infrastructure. Servers and database systems may utilize different operating systems and/or database platforms dependent on the user requirements. The central infrastructure collectively also consists of hundreds of terabytes of disk space. For additional detail on specific technologies currently used at WTS, please see the
Western WTS Technology Environment document. (http://www.uwo.ca/its/services/WITE.pdf)
WTS systems support many mission critical services including email, web services, our learning management system, voice services and other enterprise applications. Central services also provide web, server, database, and storage hosting for the Western community.
- College Diploma in an information technology field or a university degree with at least a minor in Computer
- University Degree majoring in Computer Science or an Information Technology field is preferred
- 5 years of experience supporting enterprise level servers, storage, databases and web operation
- Experience with, and advanced understanding of, network concepts, systems security and administrative procedures in a large production environment
- Experience using scripting languages (Shell, Perl, Python, etc.)
- Experience using virtualization environments (VMware, Solaris Zones, container, etc.)
- Web infrastructure server management experience (Linux, Apache, Tomcat, GlassFish)
- Experience supporting technologies including:
- DevOps technologies including Source Control (GitLab, GitHub, Artifactory, SVN); CI/CD & Config (Jenkins, Chef, Puppet, Ansible); Containers (Docker, Kubernetes, Rancher, etc.)
- Content management systems (Cascade, CSS, XSLT, Velocity template language, etc.)
- Domain management and Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated proficiency in setup and management of dev ops tools and web/application servers
- Ability to provide technical guidance regarding infrastructure design, deployment and support for WTS web services
- Familiar with dev ops for agile software development methodologies
- Demonstrated proficiency with implementation and management of Linux system administration
- Demonstrated familiarity with server virtualization technologies
- Ability to write clear, concise procedural and technical documentation
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills to effectively interact with technical and non technical users
- Ability to resolve problems and escalate issues with suggestions for further investigation and options for consideration as required
- Initiative to seek and share relevant information, opinions, and judgments
- Demonstrated organizational skills including ability to manage multiple competing priorities working to tight timelines with appropriate supervision
- Ability to handle frequent interruptions
- Demonstrated ability to research/investigate issues and resolve problems
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with peers, contacts with access to information, and key business partners
- Ability to carry out work off hours as required independently with appropriate guidance and training
- Ability and willingness to stay abreast of technological development and adapt efficiently to emerging
priorities and changing work methods
- Demonstrates attention to detail and accuracy
- Proven ability to interact with people in a professional, respectful and diplomatic manner
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit https://recruit.uwo.ca for further information and to apply online referencing job #30004 by midnight on 2023/04/27
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.