Intermediate Automobile Underwriter (12-14 month contract) – Apply Today!
KENT & ESSEX MUTUAL INSURANCE is a well-established mutual insurance company in Chatham and we have a new opportunity to join our Team for coverage of a 12-14 month maternity leave. We are a progressive company that believes in ongoing training and development opportunities, as well providing a competitive compensation program.
As an Intermediate Auto Underwriter, you will be accountable for high quality underwriting of personal automobile insurance policies in accordance with Company underwriting guidelines and your level of underwriting authority as assigned.
The position responsibilities are as follows:
- Assessing, accepting, and declining moderate to complex new business submissions, within assigned underwriting authority
- Review underwriting requests, providing support to brokers confirming the correct rate and clarifying or explaining underwriting rules to ensure they are applied accurately
- Underwriting and negotiating renewals and policy endorsements
- Understanding of and ability to read/interpret all relevant auto policy wordings, including the OAP, and most OPCF endorsements, including underwriting Excess and Umbrella Liability and the application of more complex OPCFs
- Negotiating the terms and conditions of risk acceptance with brokers while developing and maintaining positive broker relations
- Providing technical support to brokers
- Participate in insurance industry functions and marketing events in support of building broker relations and continually developing your skills.
Qualifications for the position are:
- Minimum of 3-5 years of direct Personal Lines Automobile Underwriting experience
- Strong knowledge of private passenger classes and all miscellaneous vehicle types
- Community College Diploma, or equivalent
- Professional, friendly and courteous interactions with various internal and external contacts
- Completion or commitment to achieve professional designation such as Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP)
- Strong analytical, problem solving skills with curiosity to investigate and ask questions
- Must have a positive attitude, as well as a superior customer service mindset
- Must be highly organized and able to follow up on outstanding items
- Ability to use diplomacy and tact in sensitive situations
- Strong knowledge of computers and MS Office programs
- Experience within a paperless working environment would be considered an asset
KENT & ESSEX MUTUAL INSURANCE offers a growing and dynamic environment for insurance professionals to continue to learn new skills while working in a positive, team oriented culture that gives back to our community. This would be an outstanding 12-14 months gaining valuable industry experience with a mutual insurance company.
If you would like the opportunity to join our team and possess the qualifications listed above, please apply in confidence to Human Resources by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest and wish to advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the hiring process as required under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).