The London InterCommunity Health Centre seeks a dedicated and passionate Community Development Worker to join our team. This person will provide leadership and support to residents, families, stakeholders, partners and community groups to build healthier communities. The primary focus of this position is to lead and support positive impact within the systems we work with and communities we serve.
- Systems Impact: Improve community health and well-being utilizing Health Promotion strategies.
- Advocate, Enable & Mediate; Engage, Promote & Sustain; Develop, Build & Strengthen.
- Community Impact - Support community members’ collaboration in order to take collective action and generate solutions to common issues utilizing community engagement and development strategies, while strategically balancing community needs and organizational commitments.
- Address factors such as education, income, employment, social support networks, gender, etc.
- Health Centre Impact - Foster, lead and/or support actions that further it’s mission by enhancing leadership, culture and strategy.
- Collaborate with Health Centre staff, community members and relevant stakeholders within the framework of the Health Centre’s Mission and Vision.
We seek a creative, persistent individual with an understanding and valuing of client’s life situation in the context of their family and environment, who demonstrates an awareness of the effect that oppression, barriers, poverty and diversity have on individuals and their communities. This person will have the ability to build trust easily and see the strengths and capacity in the individuals and community we serve as a natural motivator, leader and advocate.
As part of a multi-disciplinary team, the Community Development Worker will posses:
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Vigorous ability to build and sustain therapeutic relationships with individuals and the community
- Robust skills that are integral qualities of excellent “customer service”
- Solution-focused problem solving skills and thinking “outside the box”
- Exemplary ability to reach, engage and work alongside marginalized populations
- Remarkable approach to working collaboratively with community creating positive impact
- Strong working knowledge of the Social Determinants of Health and Health Promotion framework
- Excellence in supervising and supporting the learning and practice of students and volunteers
- Awareness of legislative issues related to health, social services and the community
- Post-secondary education in a relevant discipline from a community college or university
- Five plus years of relevant experience in a health and community setting
This position requires a flexible schedule that will include evening and weekend hours, commencing November 12, 2018. Qualified applicants are encouraged to request an information package by email prior September 24, 2018 at 12:00pm by emailing Greg Nash at firstname.lastname@example.org.
London InterCommunity Health Centre is an equal opportunity employer and committed to hiring staff that reflect the diversity of the clients and community that we serve. Should you require accommodation in making an application please contact our office. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected to proceed in the competition will be contacted.