Position: Addiction/Mental Health Counsellor – Substance Use Program
This is a front-line, clinical position providing initial intake, screening, assessment, and treatment to individuals experiencing addiction and mental health concerns.
Details of Position & Hours of Work
- Immediate start
- 35 hours/week
- 1 year contract
- Schedule may vary according to client and program needs
- 4% in lieu of paid vacation
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide client-centred care from a harm reduction approach
- Facilitate successful service navigation for clients through empowerment and/or advocacy
- Share in the provision of Entry / First Contact / Intake Services
- Provide assessment, treatment planning, referral, advocacy, preliminary case management, community treatment and education as appropriate to persons who have concerns about their own substance use or someone else’s. Counselling may be on an individual or group basis.
- Participate in the facilitation of community treatment groups as needed and appropriate.
- Provide the above mentioned clinical services in satellite offices and other locations as designated and needed.
- Manage and meet targets for a clinical caseload and maintain direct service requirements.
- Manage indirect services and administrative duties.
- Be available for evening clinical work during regular office hours and on occasion outside of regular hours as needed and when appropriate.
- Engage in community development, community awareness, education and outreach as designated and appropriate, representing the agency in a professional manner. On occasion, these services may be provided outside of regular office hours.
- Attend and actively participate in team meetings and case conferencing meetings.
- Attend other ADSTV site meetings; Annual General Meeting and periodically scheduled strategic planning and team building events.
- Maintain awareness of and adherence to policies and protocols as outlined in the Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Support and participate in the quality enhancement activities of the team and agency.
- Actively participate in the supervisory process with immediate supervisor.
- Assist with the orientation and training of new agency staff, volunteers and interns/students as designated and needed.
- Provide coverage for other team members as volunteered/directed.
- Be supportive of and an active participant in the constant evolution and growth of the agency
- Provide peer support
- Other duties as directed by program coordinator
Requirements, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Post-secondary education in a related field, preferably BSW, MSW or equivalent required
- Current registration with professional college mandatory at commencement of employment
- Current certification in First Aid/CPR or willingness to complete within first 3 months of employment required
- ASIST and Nonviolent Crisis Intervention training
- Clinical work experience ideally in substance abuse treatment including intake services
- Comfort and skill with public speaking and group facilitation
- Interdisciplinary experience in the following sectors: child welfare, medical, mental health, violence against women
- Strong ability to work collaboratively with community service providers
- Proficiency with computers, smart phones, variety of software programs including presentation technology
- Valid driver’s license and proof of current automobile insurance and access to a reliable vehicle
- A current Police Vulnerable Sector Check is a condition of employment
- French language ability an asset – verbal and written
- Working alone
- Working in a variety of public locations and agencies
- Exposure to emotionally strenuous situations
- Regular travel required within the Thames Valley area
- May be exposed to infectious and communicable diseases; working with individuals who have a history of trauma and being aggressive
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Overtime as required
- Moderate physical activity including walking, standing, sitting, lifting
PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME AND COVER LETTER IN CONFIDENCE BY:
October 18, 2018 at 4:30 pm to:
Attn: HR – Addiction/Mental Health Counsellor
260-200 Queens Ave., London, ON N6A 1J3
Please indicate the position you are applying to in the subject line if submitting via email.
ADSTV is an inclusive employer and encourages applications from Indigenous people, women, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities
If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of any required accommodations needed.
Preference will be given to candidates who are proficient in both official languages of Canada and who meet all job requirements.
Préférence sera accordée aux candidats qui sont compétents dans les deux langues officielles du Canada et qui satisfont à toutes les exigences de l'emploi.
We thank all applicants for their interest but regret only those selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
No phone calls please.